Is a Master of Arts in Visual Communication Degree Right for Me?
If you are looking for a career as a senior-level manager or creative director, this is the degree for you. Graduates of this program will be prepared to find employment as creative leaders in corporate design offices or design consulting firms nationally and internationally.
As a student in the Master of Arts in Visual Communication program, you will learn to:
- Research, analyze, and synthesize the history of visual communication in context of socio-political forces of the past and their application and influence today.
- Interpret and compare communication models and apply these models to visual communication design practice.
- Formulate and apply systematic design strategy generating techniques.
- Organize and lead a project team to solve communication design problems creatively and critically.
What is the Visual Communication Career Outlook?
Employment of advertising and promotions managers is projected to grow 9 percent from 2016 to 2026, about as fast as the average for all occupations.
Employment of marketing managers is projected to grow 10 percent from 2016 to 2026, faster than the average for all occupations.
What Can I Do with This Degree?
The Master of Arts in Visual Communication program at Hodges University is designed to prepare students for management-level careers in the design industry. Graduates will be prepared for positions such as marketing and creative directors. Graduates of the will be prepared to find employment in corporate design offices or design consulting firms nationally and internationally.
Advertising, promotions and marketing managers typically do the following:
- Work with department heads or staff to discuss topics such as budgets and contracts, marketing plans, and the selection of advertising media.
- Plan advertising and promotional campaigns.
- Plan advertising, including which media to advertise in, such as radio, television, print, online media, and billboards.
- Negotiate advertising contracts.
- Evaluate the look and feel of websites used in campaigns or layouts, which are sketches or plans for an advertisement.
- Initiate market research studies and analyze their findings to understand customer and market opportunities for businesses.
- Develop pricing strategies for products or services marketed to the target customers of a firm.
- Meet with clients to provide marketing or technical advice.
- Direct the hiring of advertising, promotions, and marketing staff and oversee their daily activities.
What Will I Learn?
All courses in the Master of Arts in Visual Communication program are design specific and fall under the Fisher School of Technology. The program and corresponding courses are writing intensive but do include a technical component (based on the student’s educational and professional discipline specific background). Students who have earned bachelor’s degrees in design, media, advertising, art, marketing, branding, business, communications and English would be excellent candidates.
Full-time students enrolled in the online program taking three courses per term may complete the program in four terms. A part-time student taking two courses per term may complete the program in five terms contingent on availability of courses.
In the UPOWER™ program, you may begin six months of unlimited course access on the first day of any month. You will be required to complete a minimum of 12 credits during the six months. However, there is no limit on the number of credits you may earn during the period.
How is Hodges University’s Master of Arts in Visual Communication Program Different?
The Hodges University Master of Arts in Visual Communication program is heavily theory based, emphasizing current media trends. The program is structured to allow for deep personal visual exploration as it relates to the students’ professional experience/interests. The uniqueness of the delivery format, combined with the flexibility of industry specific personal communication research/ experimentation, makes it a very unique degree option for many creative undergraduate majors.
UPOWER™ Self-Paced Competency-Based Learning
Take advantage of your current knowledge with our UPOWER™ competency-based learning format. UPOWER™ is a self-paced, academically rigorous and highly affordable degree completion option that allows students to get maximum credit for prior learning, including previous work experience. Students receive the same high-quality education they would expect in a traditional classroom. However, students also have the advantage of completing courses and working with faculty at their own pace while earning their master’s degree at a fraction of the cost of a typical college education.
Fisher School of Technology students also have the advantage of learning from faculty members who have real-world experience.
Our Curriculum and Technology
The Master of Arts in Visual Communication program at Hodges University provides unique educational advantages through this career-oriented program, while focusing on both the technical and management skills needed to be successful in a variety of professional settings.
Get Started Today and Apply Now!
Need More Information?
You may also contact us to speak to an admissions coordinator who will guide you through the application and admissions process. To speak to an admissions coordinator call us at 1-800-466-8017 (Naples) or 1-800-466-0019 (Fort Myers), use our contact form, email firstname.lastname@example.org or schedule a one-on-one visit to tour one of our campuses.
Your admissions coordinator will:
- Help you complete the application in its entirety.
- Help you obtain necessary transcripts.
- Schedule your admissions test (if necessary).
- Coordinate the financial aid process with a financial aid professional.
- Refer you to your academic advisor for class scheduling.
- Give you information regarding your orientation.
We look forward to welcoming you to the Hodges family!