About the Hodges
Earl and Thelma Hodges have been married for more than 50 years and have been actively involved in a wide variety of local civic and charitable causes. A native of Tennessee, Earl Hodges moved to Naples in 1956. He is a veteran of World War II and the Korean War and a successful businessman and owner of the Earl G. Hodges Funeral Chapel as well as the Johnson-Hayes Funeral Home.
In addition to building the funeral home business, Hodges founded the Naples Vault Company, Naples Crematorium, and Naples Memorial Gardens and Cemetery. He has actively served on the boards of several local banks. In 2001, Hodges was honored as the International College Humanitarian of the Year in recognition of his contributions. He also is a past recipient of the Naples Daily News Outstanding Citizen Award and the Junior Achievement Business Leadership Award.
Originally from Lawrence, Massachusetts, Thelma Hodges moved to Naples in late 1955. She was a Registered Nurse and was one of the three original employees at the Naples Community Hospital (hired just three months prior to the hospital’s official opening in 1956). Thelma Hodges worked at the hospital for more than 20 years and at different times was in charge of the emergency room, central supply and operating room.
We are proud to have humanitarians like the Hodges as members of our University family, our benefactors and friends.