The Office of Student Development at Hodges University will present its first annual Student Leadership Recognition Program, Sunday, November 8, 2009. The presentation will take place in the Community Room at the Fort Myers Campus, beginning at 3:00 pm. This new program will celebrate the accomplishments of Hodges University students who have distinguished themselves in the areas of leadership, scholarship, and service.
The 2009 winners are:
- The President’s Award, recognizing a student who represents the highest principles of Hodges University and who has demonstrated leadership, scholarship, and institutional service, will be presented to Michelle A. Simmons.
- The Neno J. Spagna Community Service Award. This award recognizes a student involved in service to the community or the institution. It will be presented by Charity A. Godfrey.
- Excellence in Diversity Award recognizes a student who has demonstrated outstanding commitment to the value of diversity or multiculturalism at Hodges University or in the greater community. The recipient is Rosalinda E. Quinn Arreza.
- Hispanic Institute Leadership Award, recognizes an outstanding graduate student contribution to the grant and research program of the Hispanic Institute. Anke Stugk is the graduate student recipient, and Daniel A. Salazar is the under-graduate student recipient.
- The Sextant Award recognizes an outstanding contribution to the Hodges literary magazine, The Sextant. This year’s student receiving the award is Lauren Grossman.
Hodges University will also recognize exceptional students who are members of the Honor Societies and various Student Clubs and Organizations. These students have contributed to the co-curricular life of Hodges University and have shown growth in leadership roles and their creative involvement in campus life.
School of Allied Health
- Allied Health Club – Fort Myers (Michelle A. Simmons)
- Allied Health Club – Naples (Margo R. Klingensmith)
Kenneth Oscar Johnson School of Business
- Kenneth Oscar Johnson School of Business Leadership Award was established by members of the School of Business Club in 2008 in memory of the school namesake, Kenneth Oscar Johnson. This student is being honored for outstanding contributions to campus wide co-curricular programs, as well as high quality leadership and organizational ability in helping plan and present programs. The recipient of the award is Alyna Perttu.
- Kenneth Oscar Johnson School of Business Club Award will be presented to Dana M. Fulker.
- Kenneth Oscar Johnson School of Business - Sigma Beta Delta Honor Society Award will be presented to Nicole M. Shelton. The award recognizes an honor society member for leadership and organizational contributions.
School of Professional Studies
- Legal Society – Fort Myers will be presented to Robert S. Mellen.
- Psychology Club Award will be presented to Tammy L. Wernert. Presented by Dr. Janice Caron, Faculty Advisor.
- The Criminal Justice Alpha Phi Sigma Honor Society Award will be presented to Anthony J. Sirianni. The award recognizes an honor society member for leadership and organizational contributions.
School of Technology
- School of Technology Society Award winner is Shawn R. Evans.
University Service Organizations
- Ambassadors – Fort Myers Award will be presented to Alison I. Smith.
- Ambassadors – Naples Award will be presented to Dana M. Fulker.
- The Sports Club Award recipient is Monica L. Clark.
- The winner of the Veterans Club Award will be Chad C. Coleman, a former U.S. Marine who served in Iraq and Afghanistan, and is now a second year student at Hodges.
Finally, the Alumna of the Year 2009 Award is presented to an outstanding aluma/us who has contributed to the institution and the greater community. The 2009 recipient will be Amelia Vasquez.
For more information about the Award presentation, please contact Marcia Brooks at (239) 598-6144.